Coming this Sunday, you have to set your clock one hour back again!
The controversial policy of daylight saving is one of the most widespread in the world, “used by 77 countries and regions with a combined population in excess of 1.5 billion”1. The biggest argument in favor of this policy was the impact on electricity consumption. But have you ever wondered how changing the time abrupt affects us, both mentally and physically?
Comment if you agree or disagree with daylight savings.
Browse through a few articles related to the impact of daylight savings in our lives below:
- Carey, R. N., & Sarma, K. M. (2017). Impact of daylight saving time on road traffic collision risk: A systematic review. BMJ Open, 7(6).
- Robb, D., & Barnes, T. (2018). Accident rates and the impact of daylight saving time transitions. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 111, 193-201.
- Cho, K., Barnes, C. M., & Guanara, C. L. (2017). Sleepy Punishers Are Harsh Punishers: Daylight Saving Time and Legal Sentences. Psychological Science, 28(2), 242–247.
Physiological and psychological effects:
- Kantermann, T., Juda, M., Merrow, M., & Roenneberg, T. (2007). The human circadian clock’s seasonal adjustment is disrupted by daylight saving time. Current Biology, 17(22), 1996-2000. doi:10.1016/j.cub.2007.10.025
- Wise, J. (2016). Daylight saving is linked to depression, Danish study finds. BMJ : British Medical Journal (Online), 355.
- Zick, C. D. (2014). Does Daylight Savings Time Encourage Physical Activity? Journal of Physical Activity & Health, 11(5), 1057–1060.
- Sexton, A. L., & Beatty, T. K. M. (2014). Behavioral responses to daylight savings time.Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 107, 290-307.
If you are interested in knowing if Daylight Savings Time actually saves electricity, this meta-analysis can give you the answer:
- Havranek, T., Herman, D., & Irsova, Z. (2018). Does Daylight Saving Save Electricity? A Meta-Analysis. Energy Journal, 39(2), 35–61.
1 Havranek, Herman, & Irsova, 2018, p. 35.
Contributed by Juliana Terciotti Magro, Main Campus Librarian.