The beginning of the semester is the best time to register with Touro Libraries to be prepared for any work your classes may bring, but it’s also a good idea to make sure you have a public library card as well. The good news is that you have one of the premier public libraries right in your neighborhood. Here’s the NYPL on all they have to offer:
“September is Library Card Sign-Up Month! It couldn’t be easier to get your free NYPL library card and take advantage of all the amazing resources it provides. Residents of New York City can apply in person for a New York Public Library card or renew at an NYPL location near you, and residents of New York State who live outside New York City can apply by mail. Learn more about applying for a card. For details on how to renew an expired card, click here.
What can you do with an NYPL library card?
- Browse, borrow, and read more than 300,000 e-books instantly on your phone with SimplyE
- Learn 71 different languages with Mango Languages (or their app!)
- Read over 2,000 newspapers (U.S. and international) with PressReader (or their app!)
- Read current, full-color issues of popular magazines with Academic Search Premier and PressReader
- Get ready for the TASC, GRE, and SAT exams with prep materials and practice tests from LearningExpress Library
- Learn something new with over 3,000 online classes and over 130,000 streaming videos from Lynda
- Access hundreds of research databases from home
So stop by your local NYPL branch today or apply online if you’re a New York State resident and grab your shiny new library card!”
While Touro Libraries are a wonderful resource to help you succeed in your degree, for lifelong access to information, nothing can beat the public library. As you can see above, they’ve got a lot more than just books! Two resources in particular that can be a great help in school and after are the Lynda and LearningExpress online education platforms. We’ve profiled Lynda on the blog before, and it’s still chock full of great resources for learning technology, business, writing, and many other skills.
LearningExpress is great resource for help with math, reading, and other academic skills. It also has a comprehensive library of test prep materials, from graduate school admissions exams to professional licensing tests in a huge range of fields. To get a jump start on life after college, check out their materials on career exploration and workplace skills.
The best part is that both of these resources, plus thousands of ebooks and other online databases are all available wherever you have access to a computer. So what are you waiting for? Sign-up today!